Want to learn the world’s most widely used authorization framework? This tutorial will have you implementing secure Oauth 2.0 grant flows without delay. Written for practical application and clear instruction, it’s the complete guide.
- Build web, client-side, desktop, and server-side secure OAuth 2.0 client applications by utilizing the appropriate grant flow for the given scenario
- Get to know the inner workings of OAuth 2.0 and learn how to handle and implement various authorization flows
- Explore practical code examples that are executable as standalone applications running on top of Spring MVC
OAuth 2.0 has become the most widely used authorization framework. It provides an easy-to-use sign-in mechanism and allows users to quickly and efficiently secure service APIs. It also provides a protection layer for assets so that various third-party applications cannot have direct access to them. From service providers like Amazon and social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter to various internal enterprise solutions, OAuth 2.0 is the preferred standard for authorization.
OAuth 2.0 Identity and Access Management Patterns is a step-by-step guide to build web, client-side, desktop, and server-side secure OAuth 2.0 client applications by utilizing the appropriate authorization techniques.. This book will help you handle and implement various authorization flows for your chosen type of application. Furthermore, you will understand when and how OAuth 2.0 is used in enterprises for trusted and first-party applications. You will gain knowledge about the Resource Owner Password Credentials grant and the Client Credentials grant, and more importantly, you will understand how to implement them yourself with the help of practical code examples.
You will start by making various client applications step-by-step before moving on to client registration and implementing various OAuth 2.0 authorization flows. Furthermore, you will also be handling server responses with access tokens and errors. By the end of this book, you should understand precisely what it takes for these client applications to be secured.
This book helps you cover each type of application: web, client-side, desktop, and trusted applications. In addition, you are also shown how to implement various authorization grant flows for each of these applications. You will uncover the security features that are a part of OAuth 2.0. More importantly, the book demonstrates what information is transmitted during the execution of a flow, and which precautions can be made. With OAuth 2.0 Identity and Access Management Patterns, you will be able to build a secure OAuth 2.0 client application with full confidence and will completely understand what data is exchanged when performing an authorization grant flow.
Data Visualization with d3.js will unveil the mystery behind all those beautiful examples you've been admiring.
Table of Contents
OAuth 2.0 Identity and Access Management Patterns
- Table of Contents
- OAuth 2.0 Identity and Access Management Patterns
- About the Author
- About the Reviewers
- 1. Need for OAuth 2.0
- 2. Terms You Need To Know
- 3. First Step for Your Application
- 4. OAuth for Web Server Applications
- 5. OAuth for Client-side Applications
- 6. OAuth for Mobile Applications
- 7. OAuth for Trusted Applications
8. Security Considerations
- What is there to be protected
- OAuth 2.0 security features
- Security considerations
9. Additional Security with SAML
- SAML (2.0)
- OAuth 2.0 assertions
- OAuth 2.0 SAML bearer assertion grant flow
- OAuth 2.0 SAML assertions for client authentication
- 10. Common Tools and Libraries
A. OAuth 2.0 Resources
- OAuth 2.0 specification
- OAuth WG mailing list
- OAuth 2.0 Threat Model and Security Considerations
- The OAuth 2.0 Authorization Framework - Bearer Token Usage
- Assertion Framework for OAuth 2.0 Client Authentication and Authorization Grants
- SAML 2.0 Profile for OAuth 2.0 Client Authentication and Authorization Grants
- OAuth website
- Title: OAuth 2.0 Identity and Access Management Patterns
- Release date: November 2013
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781783285594