F. ALTERATIONS IN FUNCTIONING
175. Your patient received chemotherapy 6 days ago and has now called with a fever of 101.8°F and chills. She has a productive cough and, except for not being able to get warm, feels fine. You send her for a complete blood count and learn that her absolute granulocyte count is 500 cells/mm3. You instruct her to come to the hospital to be admitted. Your decision is based on which of the following?
- She is at risk for bleeding and severe anemia.
- She probably has pneumonia and needs to be observed.
- She is past her nadir, but cultures need to be done to determine the source of a possible infection.
- When the neutrophil count is 500/mm3 or less, approximately 20% or more of febrile episodes have an associated bacteremia. ...