10 Information hoarding: Only Brent knows
This chapter covers
- Recognizing information hoarding
- Using lightning talks as a way to stay engaged
- Structuring lunch-and-learns
- Blogging and writing as a means of communicating
- Using external events and groups to increase knowledge-sharing practices
Unless purposeful action is taken, information tends to coalesce around key individuals. It makes those individuals incredibly valued but also equally burdened. Processes and projects can come grinding to a halt when that key person is out of the office or otherwise unavailable. I call this the only Brent knows antipattern, a nod to the character from The Phoenix Project by Gene Kim, Kevin Behr, and George Spafford (IT Revolution Press, 2018). It happens ...