Good overall health always starts with a foundation of good nutrition. However, being bombarded by conflicting nutritional reports, ever-changing confusing nutritional findings, and the latest diets can make it hard to understand how to achieve your optimum nutrition. Idiot's Guides: Optimum Nutrition gives you everything you need to know about nutrients, understanding how they react in your body, and the best way to achieve nutritional benefits. This book covers:
* The fundamental basics of nutrition.
* Definitions of good/bad fats, good/bad carbs, vitamins, minerals, proteins, and phytonutrients, and how they are used in your body.
* The mind/brain/body connection and how nutrition is linked to mental health.
* The truth about controversial foods and conflicting nutritional information.
* How to understand food labels and nutritional terms, key grocery marketing terms, and genetically modified foods.
* Making wise food choices when eating at home or out.
* Inclusion of water, fiber, grains, supplements, and super foods.
* Popular diets and how they work (low carb, paleo, plant-based, Mediterranean, glycemic index, raw food)
* Food allergies versus food intolerances and how to eat with them.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
Part 1: Nutrition and Wellness: An Overview
- 1 What Is Good Nutrition?
- 2 You Are What You Eat
- 3 The Mind/Body Connection
Part 2: The Basics of Nutrition
4 Digestion 101
- Where Does It Begin?
- When Digestion Goes Wrong
- Gut Support with Probiotics
- Water: An Essential Nutrient
5 The Calorie
- The Origin of the Calorie
- Cutting Calories for Weight Loss
- What Is an Empty Calorie?
- How Healthy Is Your Body Weight?
- Body Mass Index (BMI)
- Long-Term Weight Management
- Eating More for Weight Gain
- Eating Disorders
- Tracking Your Calories
- Fuel for Your Body
- How Carbohydrates Are Broken Down by the Body
- The Many Faces of Carbohydrates
- Dietary Fiber
- High-Fiber Recipe
- 7 Protein
8 Fats and Cholesterol
- The Many Types of Fats
- Cholesterol–the Good and the Bad
- Discovering Healthy Fats in Foods
- Top Sources of Heart-Healthy Omega-3 Fats in Foods
- Healthy Fats Recipe
- 9 Vitamins
- What Is a Mineral?
- How Minerals Are Broken Down in the Body
- Major Minerals
- Trace Minerals
- Vitamin and Mineral Supplements
- What Is a Phytonutrient?
- The Benefits of Phytonutrients
- How Phytonutrients Are Broken Down
- Which Is the Best: Phytonutrient Pills or Whole Foods?
- Getting More Phytonutrients in Your Diet
- Phytonutrients Recipe
- 4 Digestion 101
Part 3: Making Your Best Food Choices
12 Understanding Your Foods
- What Should I Eat?
- The Basic Food Groups
- What If I Eliminate Food Groups?
- Food Combining
- The Food Label
- Packaging Claims
13 Best Shopping Practices
- Safe Food Choices
- Organic vs. Conventionally Grown
- What Is a Sustainable Food System?
- Fresh, Frozen, Canned, or Freeze-Dried?
- Truth in Labeling
- 14 Cooking Oil Basics
- 12 Understanding Your Foods
Part 4: Your Healthy Diet
- 15 What Is a Healthy Diet?
- Hunger Regulation in the Body
- The Physical Need for Food
- The Psychology of Hunger and Emotional Eating
- Why Diets Don’t Work
- Breaking Free from Old Eating Patterns
- Intuitive Eating
17 Food Allergies
- What Is a Food Allergy?
- What Is a Food Intolerance?
- What Is a Food Sensitivity?
- Lifestyle Eating and Performance
- The Top Eight Food Allergies
- Fortifying Your Diet
- Dining Out with a Food Allergy
- 18 Let’s Get Cooking
- 19 Eating Out
Part 5: What Science Says About Special Foods
20 Top Diets
- Plant-Based Diets
- Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes (TLC) Diet
- Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) Diet
- The Paleo Diet
- Commercial Diet Plans
- 21 Superfoods: Are They Real or Just Good Marketing Tactics?
- 22 Controversial Foods
- 20 Top Diets
- Title: Optimum Nutrition
- Release date: January 2016
- Publisher(s): Alpha
- ISBN: 9781465450340
You might also like
Automate the Boring Stuff with Python
Automate the Boring Stuff with Python teaches simple programming skills to automate everyday computer tasks.
Learning Python, 5th Edition
Get a comprehensive, in-depth introduction to the core Python language with this hands-on book. Based on …
Python Crash Course, 2nd Edition
This is the second edition of the best selling Python book in the world. Python Crash …
Python for Programmers, First Edition
The professional programmer's Deitel® guide to Python® with introductory artificial intelligence case studies Written for programmers …