4+ Hours of Video Instruction
In the wake of the release of Oracle Database 12c R1 and its most recent upgrade, 126.96.36.199, many IT organizations are at last turning their attention to evaluating, experimenting with, and implementing the myriad features of this latest release.Description
Oracle ACE Director Jim Czuprynski demonstrates how to take advantage of these new features to:
- Speed query execution
- Conserve disk space
- Implement true storage tiering
- Manage maintenance of partitioned objects effectively
- Perform database backups and recovery quickly and efficiently.
About the Instructor
Jim Czuprynski’s information technology experience spans three decades. He served in diverse roles at several Fortune 1000 companies--as a mainframe programmer, applications developer, business analyst, and project manager--before becoming an Oracle DBA in 2001. He currently holds OCP certification for Oracle 9i, 10g, and 11g. He was awarded the status of Oracle ACE Director in March 2014.
Jim writes regularly about the myriad facets of Oracle database administration, with over a hundred articles to his credit since 2003. (Find them at databasejournal.com and ioug.org.) Jim’s blog, Generally…It Depends (http://jimczuprynski.wordpress.com), is a series of observations on all things Oracle.
Jim is also a sought-after public speaker on Oracle Database technology features. He has presented topics at Oracle OpenWorld, IOUG’s COLLABORATE, Hotsos Symposium, Oracle Technology Network ACE Tours, and Oracle User Group conferences around the world.
He has taught the core Oracle University database administration courses on behalf of Oracle and its Education Partners throughout the United States and Canada, instructing several hundred Oracle DBAs since 2005. He was selected as Oracle Education PartnerInstructor of the Year in 2009.Skill Level
- Understand how the In-Memory features of Oracle Database 188.8.131.52--In-Memory Column Store, In-Memory Joins, and In-Memory Aggregation--offer potential improvements of one to two orders of magnitude, especially for data warehousing queries, without changing any application code.
- Discover how to implement Oracle Database 12c’s new Information Lifecycle Management (ILM) features and leverage them to improve flash and spinning disk storage allocation and query response time while simultaneously establishing viable strategies for data obsolescence.
- Understand how the query optimizer has been enhanced in Oracle Database 12c to the point where many SQL statements are virtually self-tuningthrough features like Dynamic Plans, Automatic Re-Optimization, and SQL Plan Directives. The addition of two new histograms also helps retrieve skewed data faster than ever before.
- Discover several new features, especially the ability to perform partition maintenance operations while all data is still available for queries and DML operations.
- Understand how Oracle Database 184.108.40.206’s Attribute Clustering features make it possible to store a table’s data in an appropriate order within a table to speed its retrieval during query executions, as well as leverage Zone Mapping features that quickly prune away data that’s not required to complete a query.
- Discover several new and enhanced features of Recovery Manager (RMAN) in Oracle Database 12c that speed backup and restore times for image-copy datafiles while simplifying and streamlining database cloning.
- Oracle Database Administrators
- Oracle Exadata Database Machine Administrators
- Application Developers interested in leveraging new 12c Database features
- Basic working knowledge of Oracle Database operating concepts
- Knowledge of Oracle Database 12c is not required
The LiveLessons Video Training series publishes hundreds of hands-on, expert-led video tutorials covering a wide selection of technology topics designed to teach you the skills you need to succeed. This professional and personal technology video series features world-leading author instructors published by your trusted technology brands: Addison-Wesley, Cisco Press, IBM Press, Pearson IT Certification, Prentice Hall, Sams, and Que. Topics include: IT Certification, Programming, Web Development, Mobile Development, Home and Office Technologies, Business and Management, and more. View all LiveLessons on InformIT at: http://www.informit.com/livelessons.
Table of Contents
Lesson 1: In-Memory Features
- Learning objectives 00:01:32
- 1.1 Understand In-Memory Column Store (IMCS) architecture and terminology 00:12:32
- 1.2 Prioritize which tables stay within the IMCS 00:07:48
- 1.3 Compress tables appropriately inside IMCS 00:04:48
- 1.4 Leverage IMCS to dramatically improve query performance 00:09:31
- 1.5 Understand how In-Memory Joins (IMJ) work 00:06:59
- 1.6 Understand advantages of In-Memory Aggregation (IMA) 00:07:46
Lesson 2: Information Lifecycle Management
- Learning objectives 00:01:41
- 2.1 Understand Information Lifecycle Management (ILM) concepts 00:02:20
- 2.2 Understand Automatic Data Optimization (ADO) 00:26:18
- 2.3 Understand In-Database Archiving (IDA) 00:08:35
- 2.4 Understand Temporal Validity (TV) 00:07:24
- 2.5 Understand Temporal History (TH) 00:04:53
- 2.6 Combine ADO, IDA, and TV features 00:03:39
Lesson 3: SQL Performance Improvements
- Learning objectives 00:01:07
- 3.1 Understand Automatic SQL Tuning features 00:01:15
- 3.2 Detect deployment of Adaptive Execution Plans 00:03:27
- 3.3 Deploy Automatic Re-Optimization 00:02:29
- 3.4 Leverage SQL Plan Directives 00:04:31
- 3.5 Utilize Extended Statistics 00:07:15
- 3.6 Take advantage of new Top Frequency and Hybrid histograms 00:24:24
- Lesson 4: Attribute Clustering and Zone Mapping
- Lesson 5: Data Warehousing Improvements
Lesson 6: Recovey Manager (RMAN)
- Learning Objectives 00:00:44
- 6.1 Take advantage of simplified database cloning 00:08:17
- 6.2 Leverage multi-piece image copy backups for faster backup and recovery 00:06:41
- 6.3 Perform database recovery using third-party snapshots 00:04:22
- 6.4 Perform table-level point-in-time recovery (PITR) 00:06:50
- Title: Oracle 12c New Features, Part I LiveLessons
- Release date: June 2015
- Publisher(s): Prentice Hall
- ISBN: 9780134264264