Upgrading the Optimizer
This section deals with the general steps of upgrading and enabling the features of the Optimizer from 10g to 11g. Upgrading also includes a migration of existing 10g versions of execution plans and statistics to the new SPM method. There are many different ways of accomplishing this task, depending on your current method of gathering statistics, automatic tuning tasks, and execution plan maintenance.
Here is a basic plan of attack:
- Capture and back up existing 10g Execution Plans and Statistics
- Upgrade the database to 11g
- Start the applications and allow the end users to log on to the 11g database
- Adjust the database startup initialization parameters once the new version has been stable for at least a week
- Capture new execution ...