Book DescriptionControl, Conquer, and Prevail!
Everybody's biased. The truth is, we all harbor unconscious assumptions that can get in the way of our good intentions and keep us from building authentic relationships with people different from ourselves. Tiffany Jana and Matthew Freeman use vivid stories and fun (yes, fun!) exercises and activities to help us reflect on our personal experiences and uncover how our hidden biases are formed. By becoming more self-aware, we can control knee-jerk reactions, conquer fears of the unknown, and prevail over closed-mindedness. In the end, Jana and Freeman's central message is that you are not the problem—but you can be the solution.
Table of Contents
- Cover Page
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Introduction: Why is everybody biased but me?
- Chapter One: What is bias and why does it matter?
- Chapter Two: Start with you
- Chapter Three: In-groups and out-groups
- Chapter Four: Check your privilege (and your ego)
- Chapter Five: Scan to expand
- Chapter Six: Ask, don’t assume
- Chapter Seven: Listen, don’t judge
- Activity Guide
- About the Authors
- Title: Overcoming Bias
- Release date: November 2016
- Publisher(s): Berrett-Koehler Publishers
- ISBN: 9781626567276