Get the latest edition of the bestselling PC book on the planet!
What better way to make friends with your new PC than with this new edition of the bestselling PC book in the world? PCs For Dummies, Windows 7 Edition explains the latest Windows operating system in a refreshingly jargon-free way that's loaded with good humor and great help.
Discover how to make your PC safe for your kids, get in touch with your digital life, use flash drives, learn about green computing, and much more.
Dan Gookin, author of the original DOS For Dummies, helped launch the worldwide popularity of the series; his books have been translated in 32 languages and have more than 12 million copies in print
This guide gets you up to speed on the latest PC hardware and software and covers all the innovations and changes in Windows 7, all without the boring jargon
Covers making your PC safe for kids, organizing your digital life, green computing, storage on memory cards and flash drives, online photo sharing, and much more
Make your life easier the Dummies way with PCs For Dummies, Windows 7 Edition.
Table of contents
- About The Author
- Publisher's Acknowledgments
I. Hello, PC!
- 1. Your Computer Won't Explode
- 2. Your Basic PC Tour
3. Computer Assembly
- 3.1. Unpack the Boxes
- 3.2. Set Up the Console First
- 3.3. A General Guide to Plugging Things into the Console
- 3.4. It Must Have Power
4. On and Off
- 4.1. Turn On Your PC
- 4.2. Windows, Ahoy!
- 4.3. Turn the Computer Off
- 4.4. Should You Leave the Computer On All the Time?
- 4.5. "I want to leave my computer on all the time"
- 5. The Windows Tour
II. The Nerd's-Eye View
6. Deep Inside the Console
- 6.1. Console Guts
- 6.2. The Mother of All Boards
- 6.3. The Processor Rules
- 6.4. Expansion Slots
- 6.5. Your Computer Is Also a Timepiece
- 6.6. About the PC's Battery
- 6.7. The Chipset
- 6.8. The Source of PC Power
- 7. Connect This to That
8. PC Memory
- 8.1. What Is Computer Memory?
- 8.2. Measuring Memory One Byte at a Time
8.3. Memory Q&A
- 8.3.1. "How much memory is in my PC right now?"
- 8.3.2. "Do I have enough memory?"
- 8.3.3. "Does my PC have enough memory?"
- 8.3.4. "Can I test whether my PC has enough memory?"
- 8.3.5. "Can I add memory to my PC?"
- 8.3.6. "Will the computer ever run out of memory?"
- 8.3.7. "What is virtual memory?"
- 8.3.8. "What is video memory?"
- 8.3.9. "What are kibi, mebi, and gibi?"
9. The Mass Storage System
- 9.1. What Is Mass Storage?
- 9.2. The Hard Disk Drive
- 9.3. The Optical Drive
- 9.4. Media Cards and Flash Drives
- 9.5. External Storage
- 9.6. Permanent Storage ABCs
10. The PC's Display
- 10.1. The PC's Display System
- 10.2. Merry Monitor Mayhem
- 10.3. Windows Controls What You See
11. Input This!
- 11.1. Meet Mr. Keyboard
- 11.2. Control the Keyboard in Windows
- 11.3. Say Hello to the Mouse
- 11.4. Mouse Maneuvers
- 11.5. Control the Mouse in Windows
- 11.6. The Fun Input Gizmos
12. P Is for Printer
- 12.1. The Printer, the Paper, the Document Maker
- 12.2. Printer Setup
- 12.3. Basic Printer Operation
13. PC Audio Abilities
- 13.1. The Noisy PC
- 13.2. Sound Control in Windows
- 13.3. Windows Goes Bleep
- 14. PC Leftovers
- 6. Deep Inside the Console
III. Communications, Sharing, Networking
15. Necessary Networking Things
- 15.1. The Network Arena
- 15.2. Network Hardware
- 15.3. Network Software
16. Basic Networking Stuff
- 16.1. Network Fun in Windows
- 16.2. HomeGroup Sharing
- 16.3. Traditional Network Sharing
17. The Internet Quick and Dirty
- 17.1. What Is the Internet?
- 17.2. How to Access the Internet
- 17.3. It's a World Wide Web We Weave
- 17.4. E-Mail Call!
18. Flinging Files
- 18.1. Get Stuff from a Web Page
- 18.2. Free Software on the Internet
- 18.3. E-Mail File Attachments
- 15. Necessary Networking Things
IV. Basic Computing
- 19. Be Safe Out There
20. Know What a File Is
- 20.1. Behold the File!
- 20.2. Filenames
- 20.3. File Types and Icons
- 20.4. How Files Are Born
21. Organizing Files with Folders
- 21.1. About Folders
- 21.2. Famous Folders
- 21.3. Manage Your Folders
- 21.4. The Open Dialog Box
22. Files Managed
- 22.1. Files Ready for Action
- 22.2. Stuff You Do with Files
- 22.3. Finding Lost Files
- 22.4. That All-Important Safety Copy
- 23. Software Installed, Uninstalled, and Upgraded
V. Your Digital Life
24. Your Personal Disc Factory
- 24.1. Disc Creation Overview
- 24.2. Make a Data Disc
25. The Whole Digital Photography Thing
- 25.1. The Digital Camera
- 25.2. The Scanner
- 25.3. Picture Files
- 25.4. Image Resolution
26. Video on the PC
- 26.1. PC Movies
- 26.2. Your PC Is a TV
- 26.3. Connecting a TV tuner
27. Music to Your Digital Ear
- 27.1. Your PC Is Now Your Stereo
- 27.2. The PC Can Talk and Listen
28. Sharing Your Life Online
- 28.1. Social Networking
- 28.2. Share Your Photos Online
- 28.3. Your Video Life
29. Kid-Safe Computing
- 29.1. An Account for Junior
- 29.2. Parental Controls
- 29.3. PC Parenting
- 24. Your Personal Disc Factory
VI. The Part of Tens
30. Ten PC Commandments
- 30.1. I. Thou Shalt Not Fear Thy PC
- 30.2. II. Thou Shalt Save Thy Work
- 30.3. III. Thou Shalt Back Up Thy Files
- 30.4. IV. That Shalt Not Open or Delete Things Unknownst
- 30.5. V. Thou Shalt Not Be a Sucker
- 30.6. VI. Thou Shalt Use Antivirus Software, Yea Verily, and Keepeth It Up-to-Date
- 30.7. VII. Thou Shalt Upgrade Wisely
- 30.8. VIII. Thou Shalt Compute at a Proper Posture
- 30.9. IX. Thou Shalt Keepeth Windows Up-to-Date
- 30.10. X. Thou Shalt Properly Shut Down Windows
31. Ten Tips from a PC Guru
- 31.1. Remember That You're in Charge
- 31.2. Mind Who "Helps" You
- 31.3. Give Yourself Time to Learn
- 31.4. Create Separate Accounts
- 31.5. Use a UPS
- 31.6. Consider Some Hardware Upgrades
- 31.7. Avoid Crying "Wolf" in E-Mail
- 31.8. Don't Reinstall Windows
- 31.9. Shun the Hype
- 31.10. Remember Not to Take This Computer Stuff Too Seriously
- 30. Ten PC Commandments
- Title: PCs For Dummies® Windows®, 7 Edition
- Release date: November 2009
- Publisher(s): For Dummies
- ISBN: 9780470465424
You might also like
Personal Finance For Dummies, 9th Edition
Take stock of your financial situation From budgeting, saving, and reducing debt, to making timely investment …
macOS High Sierra For Dummies
Work, play, connect, and share with the ultimate tour to macOS 'X' macOS 'X' For Dummies …
Nikon® D300s For Dummies®
Harness the power of this versatile camera and maximize every feature Your Nikon D300s is known …
Personal Finance After 50 For Dummies, 2nd Edition
Personal Finance After 50 For Dummies, 2nd Edition (9781119543633) was previously published as Personal Finance After …