If you want to use JMeter for performance testing your software products, this book is a great starting point. You’ll get a great grounding in all the fundamentals and gain a wealth of new skills along the way.
- Create realistic and maintainable scripts for web applications
- Use various JMeter components to achieve testing goals
- Removal of unnecessary errors and code compilation
- Acquire skills that will enable you to leverage the cloud for distributed testing
- Effectively monitor server resources during performance testing
- Extend JMeter functionality by installing plugins
Performance testing with JMeter 2.9 is critical to the success of any software product launch and continued scalability. Irrespective of the size of the application’s user base, it’s vital to deliver the best user experience to consumers. Apache JMeter is an excellent testing tool that provides an insight into how applications might behave under load enabling organizations to focus on making adequate preparations.
Performance Testing with JMeter 2.9 is a practical, hands-on guide that equips you with all the essential skills needed to effectively use JMeter to test web applications using a number of clear and practical step-by-step guides. It allows you take full advantage of the real power behind Apache JMeter, quickly taking you from novice to master.
Performance Testing with JMeter 2.9 begins with the fundamentals of performance testing and gets you acquainted with JMeter. It will guide you through recording realistic and maintainable scripts.
You will acquire new skills working with tools such as Vagrant, Puppet, and AWS, allowing you to leverage the cloud to aid in distributed testing. You will learn how to do some BeanShell scripting and take advantage of regular expressions, JMeter properties, and extension points to build comprehensive and robust test suites. Also, you will learn how to test RESTful web services, deal with XML, JSON, file downloads/uploads, and much more. Topics like resource monitoring, distributed testing, managing sessions, and extending JMeter are also covered.
Performance Testing with JMeter 2.9 will teach you all you need to know to take full advantage of JMeter for testing web applications, dazzle your co-workers, and impress your boss! You will go from novice to pro in no time.
Table of Contents
Performance Testing with JMeter 2.9
- Table of Contents
- Performance Testing with JMeter 2.9
- About the Author
- About the Reviewers
1. Performance Testing Fundamentals
- The incident
- The aftermath
- Performance testing
- Performance testing and tuning
- JMeter to the rescue
- Up and running with JMeter
2. Recording Your First Test
- Configuring the JMeter HTTP proxy server
- Setting up your browser to use the proxy server
- Anatomy of a JMeter test
- 3. Submitting Forms
- 4. Managing Sessions
- 5. Resource Monitoring
6. Distributed Testing
- Remote testing with JMeter
- Leveraging the cloud for distributed testing
7. Helpful Tips
- JMeter properties and variables
- JMeter functions
- The Regular Expression tester
- The Debug sampler
- Using timers in your test plan
- The JDBC Request sampler
- A Dummy sampler
- The JSON Path Extractor element
- Handling RESTful web services
- Title: Performance Testing with JMeter 2.9
- Release date: July 2013
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781782165842