Quickly master dynamic, database-driven Web development—no experience necessary!
Even if you’re completely new to PHP, MySQL, and Web database development, this book will guide you through every step of building powerful, database-driven, dynamic Web sites. Direct from the world’s top scripting instructor, Ellie Quigley, PHP and MySQL by Example illuminates every concept with tested code examples, screen shots showing program output, and clear, line-by-line explanations.
Classroom-tested in Ellie Quigley’s Silicon Valley training courses and at Marko Gargenta’s Marakana training company in San Francisco, this book takes you from the simplest PHP scripting and SQL querying techniques all the way to dynamic, database driven Web site construction with PHP and MySQL. From simple fill-in forms to program security and debugging, it’s the only PHP/MySQL book you’ll ever need!
This book covers
Complete PHP fundamentals, including operators, strings, conditionals, loops, arrays, functions, and more
PHP QuickStart for more advanced readers—makes you productive with PHP in the space of just fifteen book pages
Essential Web development techniques, from file handling to validating user input with regular expressions
Powerful PHP features, including user-defined functions and self-processing PHP Forms
Day-to-day MySQL administration
A complete SQL tutorial for creating queries, retrieving data, and writing data with MySQL
Session management and cookies
Object Oriented PHP
Best practices for using PHP and MySQL together
Nearly 100,000 professionals and power users have relied on Ellie Quigley’s books to master scripting languages. With PHP and MySQL by Example, you can, too. And once you’ve become an expert, you’ll turn to this book constantly as your go-to source for reliable answers, solutions, and code.
About the CD-ROM
The CD-ROM contains versions of PHP and MySQL for Windows and UNIX/Linux, plus a comprehensive code library for creating your own sites and database-enabled Web applications, including this book’s powerful Art Gallery case study application.
Solutions to the end-of-chapter labs are available at www.prenhallprofessional.com/title/0131875086.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Chapter 1. Introduction
- Chapter 2. Getting Started
- Chapter 3. PHP Quick Start
- Chapter 4. The Building Blocks: Data Types, Literals, Variables, and Constants
- Chapter 5. Operators
- Chapter 6. Strings
- Chapter 7. Conditionals and Loops
- Chapter 8. Arrays
- Chapter 9. User-Defined Functions
- Chapter 10. More on PHP Forms
- Chapter 11. Files and Directories
- Chapter 12. Regular Expressions and Pattern Matching
- Chapter 13. Introduction to MySQL
- Chapter 14. SQL Language Tutorial
- Chapter 15. PHP and MySQL Integration
- Chapter 16. Cookies and Sessions
- Chapter 17. Objects
- Appendix A. Building an Art Gallery
- Appendix B. PHP and E-Mail
- Appendix C. PHP and Date/Time
- Appendix D. Security and Debugging
- Appendix E. Installation Procedures
- Title: PHP and MySQL by Example
- Release date: November 2006
- Publisher(s): Prentice Hall
- ISBN: 0131875086