Get Plain Style now with O’Reilly online learning.
O’Reilly members experience live online training, plus books, videos, and digital content from 200+ publishers.
Writing Can Easily Be Simplified
What Makes Business Writing Needlessly Complex
Why a Consensus Is Essential
About This Book
Part One: The Practical Writer
The Problem With “Style”
Toward a Definition of Style
1. A good writer works hard so that the reader won’t have to.
2. The reader reads the words, not the mind.
3. The reader boils things down.
4. If you give the reader a chance to misunderstand you, he will take it.
5. The principal goal of good writing is to convey.
6. The meanings of words lie in the mind, not in the dictionary.
7. Good writing minimizes the chance of misunderstanding.
8. The complexity of the subject should be the only complexity in the ...