Chapter 1. Introduction to Play 2
This chapter covers
- Defining the Play framework
- Explaining high-productivity web frameworks
- Why Play supports both Java and Scala
- Why Scala needs the Play framework
- Creating a minimal Play application
Play isn’t a Java web framework. Java’s involved, but that isn’t the whole story. Although the first version of Play was written in the Java language, it ignored the conventions of the Java platform, providing a fresh alternative to excessive enterprise architectures. Play wasn’t based on Java Enterprise Edition APIs and it wasn’t made for Java developers. Play was made for web developers.
Play wasn’t just written for web developers; it was written by web developers, who brought high-productivity web development ...