Chapter 2. Exploring the Database
This chapter contains the following recipes:
- What version is the server?
- What is the server uptime?
- Locate the database server files
- Locate the database server message log
- Locate the database's system identifier
- List databases on this database server
- How many tables in a database?
- How much disk space does a database use?
- How much disk space does a table use?
- Which are my biggest tables?
- How many rows in a table?
- Fast estimate of rows in a table
- Understanding object dependencies
To understand PostgreSQL you need to see it in use. An empty database is like a ghost town without houses.
For now, we're going to assume that you've got a database already. There are already a 1000 books on how to design your own database ...