Chapter 12. Replication & Upgrades
In this chapter, we will cover the following:
- Replication concepts
- Replication best practices
- Setting up file-based log shipping replication
- Setting up streaming log replication
- Managing log shipping replication
- Managing Hot Standby
- Selective replication using Londiste 3.0
- Selective replication using Slony 2.0
- Load balancing with pgpool II 3.0
- Upgrading to a new minor release (for example, 9.0.0 to 9.0.1)
- In-place major upgrades (for example, 8.4 to 9.0, or 9.0 to 9.1)
- Major upgrades online using replication tools
Replication isn't magic, though it can be pretty cool. It's even cooler when it works, and that's what this chapter is all about.
Replication requires understanding, effort, and patience. There are a ...