Chapter 2. Exploring the Database
This chapter covers the following recipes:
- What version is the server?
- What is the server uptime?
- Locating the database server files
- Locating the database server's message log
- Locating the database's system identifier
- Listing databases on this database server
- How many tables in a database?
- How much disk space does a database use?
- How much disk space does a table use?
- Which are my biggest tables?
- How many rows in a table?
- Quickly estimating the number of rows in a table
- Listing extensions in this database
- Understanding object dependencies
To understand PostgreSQL, you need to see it in use. An empty database is like a ghost town without houses.
For now, we're going to assume that you've already got a database. There ...