This is a companion video to
The Power of Communication: Skills to Build Trust,
Inspire Loyalty, and Lead Effectivelyby Helio Fred
Garcia. The Nine Principles of Effective Leadership Communication
are the book’s key concepts for winning the hearts and minds of
The introduction, each of the nine principles, and the conclusion combine a real-world case study with foundational principles of effective leadership communication. Together they present a powerful conceptual framework for enhancing your own power of communication.
For more than 30 years Helio Fred Garciahas helped leaders build trust, inspire loyalty, and lead effectively. He is a coach, counselor, teacher, writer, and speaker whose clients include some of the largest and best-known companies and organizations in the world.
Fred is President of the crisis management firm Logos Consulting Group and Executive Director of the Logos Institute for Crisis Management & Executive Leadership. He is based in New York and has worked with clients in dozens of countries on six continents.
Fred has been on the New York University faculty since 1988 and has received his school’s awards for teaching excellence and for outstanding service. He is an adjunct professor of management in NYU’s Stern School of Business Executive MBA program and an adjunct associate professor of management and communication in NYU’s Master’s in PR/Corporate Communication program. Fred is also on the adjunct faculty of the Starr King School for the Ministry-Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley, where he teaches a seminar on religious leadership for social change. And he is on the leadership faculty of the Center for Security Studies of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich, where he teaches in the Master’s in Advanced Studies in Crisis Management and Security Policy. He is a frequent guest lecturer at the Wharton School/University of Pennsylvania, the U.S. Marine Corps Command and Staff College and Officer Candidate School, the Brookings Institution, Tsinghua University in Beijing, and other institutions.
Fred is coauthor (with John Doorley) of Reputation Management: The Key to Successful Public Relations and Corporate Communication(second edition 2011; first edition 2007), by Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group. His two-volume book Crisis Communicationswas published by AAAA Publications in 1999. He blogs at www.logosinstitute.net/blog; he tweets at twitter.com/garciahf.
Table of Contents
- Introduction 00:03:05
- Principle #1: See Communication as the Continuation of Business by Other Means 00:05:32
- Principle #2: To Move People, Meet Them Where They Are 00:04:06
- Principle #3: Walk the Talk 00:03:54
- Principle #4: Control the Communication Agenda 00:04:04
- Principle #5: Remember That Even Small Events, Changes, or Blunders Can Have Big Consequences 00:03:48
- Principle #6: Plan and Align Tactics with Strategy 00:05:54
- Principle #7: Invest in Continuous Improvement of Communication Skills 00:02:50
- Principle #8: Harness the Power of Language and Framing 00:04:48
- Principle #9: Understand How the Human Brain Works 00:05:19
- Conclusion 00:02:23
- Title: Power of Communication (Video), The: The Nine Principles of Effective Leadership Communication
- Release date: July 2012
- Publisher(s): PH Professional Business
- ISBN: 9780133086607