Reactive Power Compensation
After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
- know the need of reactive power compensation
- discuss the objectives of load compensation
- discuss the operation of uncompensated and compensated transmission lines
- discuss the concept of sub-synchronous resonance (SSR)
- study the voltage-stability analysis
In an ideal AC-power system, the voltage and the frequency at every supply point would remain constant, free from harmonics and the power factor (p.f.) would remain unity. For the optimum performance at a particular supply voltage, each load could be designed such that there is no interference between different loads as a result of variations in the current taken by each one.