Learn the basics of Geographic Information Systems by solving real-world problems with powerful open source tools
About This Video
- This easy-to-follow guide helps you to manage and analyze geographic data with ease using open source tools
- Publish your geographical data online
- Learn the basics of geoinformatics in a practical way by solving problems
The most commonly used Geographic Information Systems (GIS) tools automate tasks that were historically done manually—compiling new maps by overlaying one on top of the other or physically cutting maps into pieces representing specific study areas, changing their projection, and getting meaningful results from the various layers by applying mathematical functions and operations. This course is an easy-to-follow guide to use the most mature open source GIS tools for these tasks.
You’ll start by setting up the environment for the tools we’ll use in the course. Then you’ll learn how to work with QGIS in order to generate useful spatial data. After that, you’ll get to know the basics of queries, data management, and geoprocessing.
By the end of this course, you’ll have an understanding of the aspects of building a GIS system and will be able to take that knowledge with you to whatever project calls for it.
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1 : Setting Up Your Environment
- Chapter 2 : Accessing GIS Data with QGIS
- Chapter 3 : Using Vector Data Effectively
- Chapter 4 : Creating Digital Maps
- Chapter 5 : Exporting Data
- Title: Practical GIS - Fundamentals of Open Source GIS
- Release date: August 2017
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781788621397