How can you ensure that IT problems do not damage your business?
IT is integral to modern organisations, and the way you manage it can make or break your business.
IT service management - not just for the IT director
It is not enough for the IT manager to understand the latest technical developments. For your company to succeed, everyone in the IT department must also understand their role in achieving overall business goals.
IT service management questions answered
Written in a friendly question-and-answer format, Practical ITSM explains how to set up a technical service management structure, using the best practice framework established by the latest version of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL® 2011).
ITIL framework for structured ITSM
The ITIL system is the most widely adopted approach to technical IT service management worldwide. It shows technical support staff how to provide the efficient IT services that are vital to your company’s success. Learn how ITIL can help you to:
If you system goes down for any length of time, you might not be able to process an order or honour a contract. ITSM helps your business meet customer deadlines and expectations.
Without adequate IT service management you could risk losing vital information, like payroll, billing and sales data.
With a structured IT service management in place, routine maintenance issues can be quickly resolved, minimising delays and improving productivity.
Read this book to see how ITIL can help your IT function support business goals.
About the author
Thejendra BS is the IT manager for a software development firm in Bangalore, and has over 20 years of experience in IT. Besides working in India, his career has also taken him to Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Bahrain and Australia. He has dealt with customers in many different areas of business, and has written many articles for websites such as techrepublic.com and drj.com. Visit www.thejendra.com for details of his other books and articles.
Table of contents
- About the Author
- Chapter 1: Introduction to IT Service Management
- Chapter 2: Overview of ITIL 2011
Chapter 3: The ITIL Lifecycle
- What is Service Strategy?
- What departments or staff are required for service strategy?
- What is Service Design?
- What are the sub-processes of service design?
- What departments or staff are required for service design?
- What is Service Operation?
- What are the sub-processes of service operation?
- What departments or staff are required for service operations?
- What is Service Transition?
- What are the sub-processes of service transition?
- What departments or staff are required for service transition?
- What is Continual Service Improvement?
- What are the sub-processes of continual service improvement?
- What departments or staff are required for continual service improvement?
Chapter 4: Service Desk Function
- What is a service desk?
- Why do you need a service desk?
- What are the responsibilities of a service desk?
- What are the different types of service desk?
- What options should be provided to contact your service desk?
- What tools and equipment do service desk personnel need?
- Are there any ITIL-compliant software or hardware?
- What job roles are needed in a service desk department?
- Some tips and advice for a responsive service desk
Chapter 5: Incident Management
- What is an incident?
- Isn’t an incident the same as a problem?
- What is incident management?
- What are the responsibilities of incident management?
- Why is incident management necessary?
- What is incident priority?
- What is a business impact?
- What is an incident category?
- How can IT services reduce the number of incidents?
- What is classification matching?
- What is incident routing?
- What is incident escalation?
- What is an incident lifecycle?
- What are the sub-processes of incident management?
- Chapter 6: Problem Management
- Chapter 7: Change Management
Chapter 8: Release and Deployment Management
- What is a release?
- What is release management?
- What is a deployment?
- What is release and deployment management?
- Why should there be a R&D management team?
- What are the responsibilities of R&D management?
- What is a DML?
- What is release building?
- What are the different types of releases?
- What is service validation and testing?
- What is meant by withdrawal of service?
- What are the sub-processes of release management?
Chapter 9: Service Asset and Configuration Management
- What is a service asset?
- What is configuration management?
- Is configuration management the same as managing IT inventory?
- Why is configuration management important?
- What is service asset and configuration management?
- What is a configuration item?
- What is a CI attribute?
- What is a CI relationship?
- What is the configuration management database?
- What are the responsibilities of configuration management?
- How are CMDBs managed?
- What is a configuration baseline?
- What is a baseline analyser?
- What is CMDB updating?
- What is software licensing?
- What are the sub-processes of configuration management?
- Chapter 10: Service Level Management
- Chapter 11: Service Catalogue Management
- Chapter 12: Capacity Management
- Chapter 13: Demand Management
- Chapter 14: Availability Management
- Chapter 15: Information Security Management
- Chapter 16: Access Management
Chapter 17: IT Service Continuity Management
- What is a disaster?
- What is disaster recovery?
- What is business continuity?
- What is crisis management?
- Why is service continuity important?
- What are the main responsibilities of SCM?
- What is a business impact analysis?
- What options are available for service continuity?
- Who can invoke service continuity?
- How can IT services be aware of risks?
- Chapter 18: Financial Management for IT Services
- Chapter 19: Supplier Management
- Chapter 20: IT Operations Management Function
- Chapter 21: General Tips and Advice for IT Service Management
- Appendix 1: Sample SLA Between IT Services and Rocksolid Business Managers
- Appendix 2: Sample OLA between IT Department and the Electrical Department
- Appendix 3: Sample UC between RockSolid IT Services and ABC Computer Corp
- Appendix 4: A Simple IT Service Management Flow with Interactions among Different Processes
- Appendix 5: The ITIL Glossary
- Appendix 6: ITSM Books and other Resources
- ITG Resources
- Title: Practical IT Service Management, 2nd Edition
- Release date: February 2014
- Publisher(s): IT Governance Publishing
- ISBN: 9781849285469
You might also like
Executive's Guide to IT Governance: Improving Systems Processes with Service Management, COBIT, and ITIL
Create strong IT governance processes In the current business climate where a tremendous amount of importance …
CCNP and CCIE Enterprise Core ENCOR 350-401 Official Cert Guide
Trust the best-selling Official Cert Guide series from Cisco Press to help you learn, prepare, and …
(ISC)2 CISSP Certified Information Systems Security Professional Official Study Guide, 8th Edition
CISSP Study Guide - fully updated for the 2018 CISSP Body of Knowledge CISSP (ISC)2 Certified …
Service Level Manager - Careers in IT service management
Service level management provides a framework in which IT services are defined, agreed upon and delivered. …