An SLM Project Implementation Plan
This section of the chapter presents a plan for implementation of SLM on an existing system; implementation for a new project is similar. These steps can proceed somewhat in parallel; for example, SLAs can be drafted and refined while instrumentation is collecting data to be used in setting service level objectives.
The steps of the plan are as follows:
- Census and documentation of the existing system
- Specification of performance metrics
- Instrumentation choices and locations
- Baseline of existing system performance
- Investigation of system performance sensitivities and system tuning
- Construction of SLAs
Census and Documentation of the Existing System
An overall census and documentation of the existing system configuration ...