Incorporating Zill's student-friendly writing style and modern examples, Precalculus with Calculus Previews, Fifth Edition includes all of the outstanding features and learning tools found in the original text, Essentials of Precalculus with Calculus Previews, while incorporating additional coverage that some courses may require. With a continued aim to keep the text complete, yet concise, the authors added four additional chapters making the text a clear choice for many mainstream courses.
This student-friendly, four-color text offers numerous exercise sets and examples to aid in students' learning and understanding, and graphs and figures throughout serve to better illuminate key concepts. The exercise sets include engaging problems that focus on algebra, graphing, and function theory, the sub-text of so many calculus problems. The authors are careful to use the terminology of calculus in an informal and comprehensible way to facilitate the student's successful transition into future calculus courses.
- Includes a new chapter,
- Provides a "no nonsense" approach to precalculus with an informal, intuitive, and straightforward writing style.
- Incorporates the terminology used in calculus in an informal way to acclimate students to these new terms.
- Includes over 1600 figures to help illuminate key concepts.
- Notes from the Classroom sections address a variety of student/textbook/classroom/calculus issues such as alternative terminology, reinforcement of important concepts, tips on memorization, misinterpretations, common errors, solution procedures, calculators, and advice on the importance of neatness and organization.
- Calculus Previews conclude each chapter and highlight a single calculus concept with a focus on the algebraic, logarithmic, and trigonometric manipulations necessary for successfully completing the problem.
Translating Words into Functions illustrates how to translate a verbal description into a symbolic representation of a function.