Business Activity Monitoring, or BAM, provides real-time business intelligence by capturing data as it flows through a business system. By using BAM, you can monitor a business process in real time and generate alerts when the process needs human intervention. Pro Business Activity Monitoring in BizTalk 2009 focuses on Microsoft's BAM tools, which provide a flexible infrastructure that captures data from Windows Communication Foundation, Windows Workflow Foundation, .NET applications, and BizTalk Server.
This book shows why BAM is an important component of any business intelligence strategy because it bridges the gap between business intelligence and business process management.
Part One of the book covers the basics of BAM. It teaches you how to install BAM, and then it leads you through a complete but simple project to capture data from a WCF service
Part Two of the book describes the BAM tool set. It shows you how to define the data that is captured by BAM, wire up a BizTalk application for BAM, and view BAM data using the BAM Portal
Part Three of the book focuses on monitoring applications written in WCF or WF. It also shows you how to use the BAM API
Part Four of the book covers advanced topics in BAM. These topics include integrating BAM with Microsoft's BI stack, creating relationships between BAM activities, managing BAM servers, and monitoring BizTalk applications using BAM
This book contains numerous exercises to help you learn BAM. Source code for the samples is available from Apress.com.
For many CIOs, business intelligence is at the top of their priority lists. Learn why with Pro Business Activity Monitoring in BizTalk 2009.
What you'll learn
Show users what your application is doing and how their business
Implement a BAM solution without writing any code
Monitor applications written in WCF, WF, and BizTalk Server
Create an observation model to define the data that BAM will collect from your application
Use the BAM API to implement custom BAM solutions
Manage a BAM solution
Integrate BAM with your BI strategy and Microsoft's BI tools
Who this book is for
This book is for anyone who wants to know what's happening in their organization, right now!
Developers building WCF, WF, or BizTalk applications will learn how to monitor those applications without writing extra code. Architects will learn how to bridge service-oriented architecture, business process management, and BI. Decision makers will learn how to see what's happening inside business processes. BI specialists will learn how BAM provides real-time capabilities that supplement any BI strategy. Business users and analysts will learn how BAM allows them to understand what's happening in the business every minute of every day.
About the Apress Pro Series
The Apress Pro series books are practical, professional tutorials to keep you on and moving up the professional ladder.
You have gotten the job, now you need to hone your skills in these tough competitive times. The Apress Pro series expands your skills and expertise in exactly the areas you need. Master the content of a Pro book, and you will always be able to get the job done in a professional development project. Written by experts in their field, Pro series books from Apress give you the hard-won solutions to problems you will face in your professional programming career.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Contents at a Glance
- About the Authors
- About the Technical Reviewer
PART 1: Introducing BAM
- CHAPTER 1: Welcome to Business Activity Monitoring!
- CHAPTER 2: Installing and Configuring BAM
- CHAPTER 3: Your First BAM Project
- CHAPTER 4: Where BAM Fits in Your Business
PART 2: Working with BAM Tools
- CHAPTER 5: The BAM Observation Model
- CHAPTER 6: The Tracking Profile Editor
- CHAPTER 7: Consuming BAM Data and the BAM Portal
PART 3: Capturing Application Data for BAM
CHAPTER 8: Capturing Data from WCF
- Architecture of the Interceptors
- WCF and BizTalk: So Happy Together
- The Syntax of a WCF Interceptor File
- A Walkthrough with Common IC File Examples
- Configuring the BAM WCF Interception
- Fault Handling WCF Interception
- Loading the WCF Interceptor Using the BAM API
- BAM Interceptor Performance Counters
- Hosting and Security Considerations
- CHAPTER 9: Capturing Data from WF
- CHAPTER 10: The BAM API
- CHAPTER 8: Capturing Data from WCF
PART 4: Advanced Topics in BAM
- CHAPTER 11: BAM and Business Intelligence
- CHAPTER 12: Relationship Advice
- CHAPTER 13: Managing BAM
- CHAPTER 14: Monitoring BizTalk Status Using BAM
- CHAPTER 15: Building Better BAM
- Title: Pro Business Activity Monitoring in BizTalk 2009
- Release date: July 2009
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781430219149