Pro Java ME Apps gives you, the developer, the know-how required for writing sophisticated Java ME applications and for taking advantage of this huge potential market. Java ME is the largest mobile software platform in the world, supported by over 80% of all phones. You'll cover what Java ME is and how it compares to other mobile software platforms, how to properly design and structure Java ME applications, how to think like an experienced Java ME developer, what common problems and pitfalls you may run into, how to optimize your code, and many other key topics.
Unlike other Java ME books out there, which only teach the reader the basics of Java ME by way of a few simple examples, this book will present a broader, eagle-eye picture of a complete Java ME application and what writing one involves. From there, the book will present, explain, and help you to implement all the essential aspects of Java ME development, from the user interface to client-server communication. As this unfolds, the decisions and reasoning behind the code will also be presented.
The book will assume that the reader is already familiar with Java ME and Java applications in general.
Based on and geared towards real-life Java ME scenarios.
Guides the reader through the entire process of developing a high-quality Java ME application.
Explains the decisions made at each step, gives advice and examples of good practices vs. bad practices.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Contents at a Glance
- About the Author
- About the Technical Reviewer
- Chapter 1: Getting Started
- Chapter 2: A Java ME Framework
Chapter 3: Defining Our Data
- Why Implement the Model Interface?
- Making Data Types Immutable
- Defining the Tweet Data Type
- Defining the TwitterUser Data Type
- Defining the TwitterServer Entity
- Defining the UserCredentials Data Type
- Defining the TweetFilter Data Type
- Defining the Timeline Entity
- Choosing Intelligent Representations for Your Data
- Chapter 4: The Networking Module
- Chapter 5: The Persistence Module
- Chapter 6: The UI Module
- Chapter 7: The Localization Module
Chapter 8: Putting It All Together
- Jump-Starting the Application
- Implementing the FlowController
- Implementing the TweetsController
- Implementing the WelcomeScreenController and the WelcomeForm
- Implementing the MainForm and MainScreenController
- Implementing the SettingsScreenController and the SettingsForm
- Implementing the EVT Class
- Improving the Application
- Chapter 9: Device Fragmentation
- Chapter 10: Optimizing Your Code
- Chapter 11: Adding Fine Touches and User Interaction Improvements
- Chapter 12: Java ME Application Testing
- Chapter 13: Advanced Java ME Graphics
Chapter 14: The Proper Java ME Mindset
- Java ME Is Only As Powerful As the Devices It Runs On
- Best Practices for Optimizing Your Application
- Sticking to Your Priorities
- Thinking Outside the Box Is Important
- Keeping Things Simple
- Standardizing the User Experience
- Planning for the Worst-Case Scenario
- Determining Your Application’s Limits
- Chapter 15: Java ME and the Future
- Chapter 16: Final Words
- Title: Pro Java ME Apps
- Release date: May 2011
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781430233275