Seven Classic Opening Gambits
- Question. A question directed at the members of the audience.
- Factoid. A striking statistic or little-known fact.
- Retrospective/Prospective. A look backward or forward.
- Anecdote. A short human-interest story.
- Quotation. An endorsement about your business from a respected source.
- Aphorism. A familiar saying.
- Analogy. A comparison between two seemingly unrelated items that helps illuminate a complex, arcane, or obscure topic.
One excellent way to open a presentation is with a question directed at the audience. A well-chosen, relevant question evokes an immediate response, involves the audience, breaks down barriers, and gets the audience thinking about how your message applies to them. ...