A Sample Application: The MVC Music Store
As mentioned in Chapter 1, we will use the MVC Music Store sample application for a lot of our samples in this book. You can find out more about the MVC Music Store application at http://mvcmusicstore.codeplex.com. The Music Store tutorial is intended for beginners and moves at a pretty slow pace; because this is a professional series book, we'll move faster and cover some more advanced background detail. If you want a slower, simpler introduction to any of these topics, feel free to refer to the MVC Music Store tutorial. It's available online in HTML format and as a 150-page downloadable PDF. I published MVC Music Store under Creative Commons license to allow for free reuse, and we'll be referencing it at times.
The MVC Music Store application is a simple music store that includes basic shopping, checkout, and administration, as shown in Figure 2.1.
The following store features are covered:
- Browse: Browse through music by genre and artist, as shown in Figure 2.2.
- Add: Add songs to your cart as shown in Figure 2.3.
- Shop: Update shopping cart (with Ajax updates) as shown in Figure 2.4.
- Order: Create an order and check out as shown in Figure 2.5.
- Administer: Edit the song list (restricted to administrators) as shown in Figure 2.6.