- My wife Allison, whose unwavering support and persistent reminders about deadlines during this stressful year made this book possible.
- My parents and siblings, who told me that I could do anything I put my mind to.
- Drs. Joyce Blair Crowell and William Hooper, whose dedicated instruction and mentoring made my career possible.
- Dr. Sarah Ann Stewart, who believed in me when I thought surely calculus and proofs spelled doom for my education.
- Mrs. Lockhart, who inspired me to write.
- Jay, for introducing me to Mary, and to Mary and Maureen for making this book a reality.
- Jake, for being absurd. Oh, and for agreeing to be my technical editor.