Setting Up the
SDR Healthcare Application
In Chapters 3 through 6 of this book, you work through an extended example of how to
create and publish a PowerPivot workbook. This example involves a ﬁctional healthcare
company, SDR Healthcare, and involves doing analysis and reporting on the data in that com-
pany’s audit database, and other external data sources.
To simulate importing data from multiple data sources, some setup of those data sources is
needed before starting the application. In the real world, those data sources would already be
there. But, for this example, they are not. This appendix provides instructions on how to set up
the initial environment before starting to work on the example. These instructions assume that
PowerPivot for SharePoint is already set up. Instructions for a simple single-machine setup can
be found in Chapter 2. Instructions for a more detailed multi-machine setup can be found in
SETTING UP THE SQL SERVER AUDIT DATABASE
The main analytical data for the application comes from a SQL Server database. This data is
included in the
SDRAudit.bak ﬁle included in this book’s downloadable ﬁles.
To restore the backup onto a SQL Server 2008 R2 instance, follow these steps:
1. Start SQL Server Management Studio.
2. Connect to the server on which you want to restore the database.
3. Right-click on the Databases folder for that server in the Object Explorer window,
and select Restore Database.
4. In the “Source for restore” section of the dialog, select From Device. Click the edit ﬁeld
button (the button with the “…” caption).
5. In the Specify Backup dialog, click the Add button.
6. Specify the full name (including the path) of the SDRAudit.bak ﬁle in the “File name”
ﬁeld and click the OK button.
587379bapp01.indd 339 5/12/10 10:58:34 AM