A First Look at Multidimensional BISM
What's in this chapter?
- Upgrading to SQL Server 2012 from previous versions
- Introduction to SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT)
- Creating an Analysis Services multidimensional project
- Creating data sources, Data Source Views, and cubes in a multidimensional project
- Deploying and browsing cubes
- Managing Analysis Services with SSMS
- Querying a cube using MDX
In Chapter 1 you learned general data warehousing concepts, including some key elements that go into successful data warehouse projects, the different approaches taken to build data warehouses, and how the data warehouses are subsequently mined for information. You also learned about the Microsoft Business Intelligence Semantic Model (BISM) and the two components that make up the model: tabular and multidimensional. This chapter introduces you to the multidimensional side of SQL Server Analysis Services 2012 and related tools. These are the tools, resident in two different environments, which you need to develop and manage Analysis Services multidimensional databases.
In this chapter you become familiar with the Analysis Services multidimensional development environment by working through a tutorial based on a sample relational database for SQL Server Analysis Services called AdventureWorksDW, which you can download from this book's page on Wrox.com. This tutorial covers many basic Analysis Services concepts by taking you through the process of building and browsing a cube. The tutorial ...