WHAT’S IN THIS CHAPTER?
- Using FTDI USB to Serial devices
- Creating VCP and D2XX driver Catalog components
- Exploring FTDI system integration and modules
- Introducing the CEComponentWiz Wizard
- Developing a stream driver as a driver wrapper
- Using serial port access
Future Technology Devices International (FTDI) manufactures USB to serial integrated circuits (ICs) that can be integrated into a board design to give it USB to Serial capabilities. This chapter covers the integration of FTDI ICs with a board design. It also covers the use of some third-party modules that use the FTDI devices to give a system extra functionality such as GPIO, relays, and RFID. The FTDI driver is used as an example of how to integrate a binary driver into an image and for how to wrapper a driver to provide high-level functionality. Managed and native code access to a serial port is introduced. A wizard for creating components for Compact 7 that adds content to an image is introduced and used in integrating the FTDI driver as a Catalog component.