4. Read Column 12.
5. Consider a two-pass algorithm.
6, 8, 9. Try key indexing.
10. Consider hashing, and don’t limit yourself to a computerized system.
11. This problem is for the birds.
12. How do you write without using a pen?
1. Think about sorting, binary search and signatures.
2. Strive for an algorithm that runs in linear time.
5. Exploit the identity cba = (arbrcr)r.
7. Vyssotsky used a system utility and two one-shot programs that he wrote just for this job to rearrange data on tapes.
8. Consider the k smallest elements in the set.
9. The cost of s sequential searches is proportional to sn; the total cost of s binary searches is the cost of the searches plus the time required to sort ...