Written by ten successful project portfolio managers from companies including AAA, Boeing, Franklin Templeton, Johnson & Johnson, Safeway, and the UK Government, this easy-to-follow guide takes you through the project portfolio management process. It's based on what actually works, giving you a clear road map and the tools needed to determine the optimal mix and sequencing of projects in order to meet your organization's goals. The book begins by explaining basic PPM principles and why PPM is more critical than ever for business success. This introduction is followed by a story, tracking the experiences of a manager new to PPM as he discovers the issues that all of us face in trying to get traction with our PPM initiatives. In answering the questions our story raises, the book then details each step of the PPM process, using cases and examples drawn from the authors' first hand experience to help you address such key questions as:
Which projects should our organization invest in?
How can we optimize our organization's capacity?
How well are we executing the PPM process?
Can our organization absorb all the changes that our PPM plan requires?
Are we achieving all the expected benefits?
The authors are all members of the Enterprise Portfolio Management Council, a group of senior portfolio management executives dedicated to helping organizations develop their own portfolio management capabilities. Now you can benefit from their collective wisdom and experience, and duplicate their successful results within your own organization.
Table of contents
- Why We Created the Enterprise Portfolio Management Council
- Why We Wrote the Book
- About the Authors
- About the EPMC
Project Portfolio Management: A Story
- Are We Investing in the Right Things?
- Are We Optimizing Our Capacity?
- How Well Are We Executing?
- Can We Absorb All the Changes?
- Are We Realizing the Promised Benefits?
- The PPM Process
- Setting the Foundation for Success
- PPM Design
- Implementing PPM
- DASHBOARDS AND METRICS: THE VISUALS
- MEETINGS: KEEPING THE PROCESS GOING
- COMMUNICATION: MAKING SURE EVERYONE IS ON THE SAME PAGE
- MATURITY MODELS: WHERE DO YOU AND YOUR ORGANIZATION STAND?
- RESOURCE MANAGEMENT: GETTING YOUR ARMS AROUND THE ORGANIZATION
- KEEPING UP THE MOMENTUM
- DEDICATING RESOURCES TO RUNNING THE PMO
- CHAPTER SUMMARY
- The Story: Nine Months Later
- Title: Project Portfolio Management: A View From The Management Trenches
- Release date: October 2009
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780470505366
You might also like
Effectiveness in Project Portfolio Management
Join project management researcher-practitioners from Pennsylvania State University and the Stevens Institute of Technology as they …
Project Portfolio Management: A Practical Guide to Selecting Projects, Managing Portfolios, and Maximizing Benefits
Project Portfolio Management (PPM) goes beyond the typical project management approach to offer a set of …
Project Management for Mere Mortals®: The Tools, Techniques, Teaming, and Politics of Project Management, Video Enhanced Edition
Praise for Project Management for Mere Mortals ® “ Project Management for Mere Mortals is a …
IT Portfolio Management Step-by-Step: Unlocking the Business Value of Technology
Praise for IT Portfolio Management Step-by-Step "Bryan Maizlish and Robert Handler bring their deep experience in …