Leverage the power of QGIS in real-world applications to become a powerful user in cartography and GIS analysis
- Load and visualize spatial data, create astonishing maps and publish them online, and effectively automate your work with the help of QGIS processing framework
- Learn about different GIS analysis through detailed real-world examples
- An example-based guide to solve most common mapping and analysis tasks using real-world datasets
QGIS is a leading user-friendly, cross-platform, open source, desktop geographic information system (GIS). It provides many useful capabilities and features and their number is continuously growing. More and more private users and companies choose QGIS as their primary GIS software because it is very easy to use, feature-rich, extensible, and has a big and constantly growing community.
This book guides you from QGIS installation through data loading, and preparation to performing most common GIS analyses. You will perform different types of GIS analyses including density, visibility, and suitability analysis on practical, real-world data. Finally, you will learn how to become more productive and automate your everyday work with the help of the QGIS Processing framework and by developing your own Python plugins.
By the end of this book, you will have all the necessary knowledge about handling and analyzing spatial data.
What You Will Learn
- Install QGIS and integrate your data into a spatial database to improve data management, speedup access, and processing
- Design beautiful and informative print maps for a better representation of your data and analysis results
- Publish your maps on the Internet with the QGIS Cloud hosting
- Use the Heatmap plugin and hexagonal grids to find hot regions by density analysis
- Visualize your data in 3D and check object visibility to find the most scenic views
- Perform suitability analysis to find places that meet your requirements and learn how to use spatial operations
- Become more productive with the Processing framework by using models and scripts to automate repetitive and complex tasks
- Develop your own Python plugin to extend QGIS's functionality