• Describe the need for forecasting in health care operations.
• Review the various approaches to forecasting.
• Differentiate the data driven and opinion- or judgment-based forecasts.
• Recognize what type of forecasting approach should be taken for various health care forecasting situations.
• Develop accuracy checks and controls for forecasts.
• Analyze and use forecast information in operations or in strategic decisions.
Every day, health care managers must make decisions about service delivery without knowing what will happen in the future. Forecasts enable them to anticipate the future and plan accordingly. Good forecasts are the basis for short-, medium-, and long-term planning and are essential ...