While institutional traders continue to implement quantitative (or algorithmic) trading, many independent traders have wondered if they can still challenge powerful industry professionals at their own game? The answer is "yes," and in Quantitative Trading, Dr. Ernest Chan, a respected independent trader and consultant, will show you how. Whether you're an independent "retail" trader looking to start your own quantitative trading business or an individual who aspires to work as a quantitative trader at a major financial institution, this practical guide contains the information you need to succeed.
Table of contents
- 1. The Whats, Whos, and Whys of Quantitative Trading
2. Fishing for Ideas: Where Can We Find Good Strategies?
- 2.1. HOW TO IDENTIFY A STRATEGY THAT SUITS YOU
2.2. A TASTE FOR PLAUSIBLE STRATEGIES AND THEIR PITFALLS
- 2.2.1. How Does It Compare with a Benchmark and How Consistent Are Its Returns?
- 2.2.2. How Deep and Long Is the Drawdown?
- 2.2.3. How Will Transaction Costs Affect the Strategy?
- 2.2.4. Does the Data Suffer from Survivorship Bias?
- 2.2.5. How Did the Performance of the Strategy Change over the Years?
- 2.2.6. Does the Strategy Suffer from Data-Snooping Bias?
- 2.2.7. Does the Strategy "Fly under the Radar" of Institutional Money Managers?
- 2.3. SUMMARY
- 3.1. COMMON BACKTESTING PLATFORMS
- 3.2. FINDING AND USING HISTORICAL DATABASES
- 3.3. PERFORMANCE MEASUREMENT
- 3.4. COMMON BACKTESTING PITFALLS TO AVOID
- 3.5. TRANSACTION COSTS
- 3.6. STRATEGY REFINEMENT
- 3.7. SUMMARY
- 4. Setting Up Your Business
- 5. Execution Systems
- 6. Money and Risk Management
7. Special Topics in Quantitative Trading
- 7.1. MEAN-REVERTING VERSUS MOMENTUM STRATEGIES
- 7.2. REGIME SWITCHING*
- 7.3. STATIONARITY AND COINTEGRATION
- 7.4. FACTOR MODELS
- 7.5. WHAT IS YOUR EXIT STRATEGY?
- 7.6. SEASONAL TRADING STRATEGIES
- 7.7. HIGH-FREQUENCY TRADING STRATEGIES
- 7.8. IS IT BETTER TO HAVE A HIGH-LEVERAGE VERSUS A HIGH-BETA PORTFOLIO?
- 7.9. SUMMARY
- 8. Conclusion: Can Independent Traders Succeed?
- A. A Quick Survey of MATLAB
- About the Author
- Title: Quantitative Trading : How to Build Your Own Algorithmic Trading Business
- Release date: November 2008
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780470284889
You might also like
Finding Alphas: A Quantitative Approach to Building Trading Strategies
Design more successful trading systems with this practical guide to identifying alphas Finding Alphas seeks to …
Option Volatility and Pricing: Advanced Trading Strategies and Techniques, 2nd Edition, 2nd Edition
WHAT EVERY OPTION TRADER NEEDS TO KNOW. THE ONE BOOK EVERY TRADER SHOULD OWN. The bestselling …
Building Algorithmic Trading Systems: A Trader's Journey From Data Mining to Monte Carlo Simulation to Live Trading, + Website
Develop your own trading system with practical guidance and expert advice In Building Algorithmic Trading Systems: …
Algorithmic Trading: Winning Strategies and Their Rationale
Praise for Algorithmic Trading "Algorithmic Trading is an insightful book on quantitative trading written by a …