If we want to add a title and custom axis labels to a base plot, it is simply a matter of adding extra inputs to plot(). If you examine the documentation for plot() using ?plot or help(plot), you'll see that plot can take a number of inputs that will do the following:
- main, for plot titles
- sub, for subtitles
- These will be smaller than the title
- Subtitles are printed at the bottom of the plot, beneath the x-axis label
- xlab, to change the x-axis label
- By default, the x-axis label will be the name of the variable you input as it is named in the dataset. Use xlab to change it.
- ylab, to change the y-axis label
- The y-axis defaults are the same as for the x-axis, and ylab works just as xlab does.
Let's return to ...