Wake up, it's revolution time!
Gone are the days when you could plan out your marketing and public relations programs well in advance and release them on your timetable. It's a real-time world now, and if you're not engaged, then you're on your way to marketplace irrelevance.
"Real time" means news breaks over minutes, not days. It means ideas percolate, then suddenly and unpredictably go viral to a global audience. It's when companies develop (or refine) products or services instantly, based on feedback from customers or events in the marketplace. And it's when businesses see an opportunity and are the first to act on it.
Caught up in old, time-consuming processes, too many companies leave themselves fatally exposed by flying blind through this new media environment. You don't have to be among them. Discover Real-Time Marketing and PR and get a clear path to navigate and succeed in the changed business landscape.
In this eye-opening follow-up to The New Rules of Marketing and PR, a BusinessWeek bestseller,David Meerman Scott reveals the proven, practical steps to take your business into the real-time era. Find out how to act and react flexibly as events occur, position your brand in the always-on world of the Web, and avoid embarrassing mistakes and missteps. Real-Time Marketing and PR will also enable you to:
Develop a business culture that encourages speed over sloth
Read buying signals as people interact with your online information
Crowdsource product development, naming, and even marketing materials such as online videos
Engage reporters to shape stories as they are being written
Command premium prices by delivering products at speed
Deploy technology to listen in on millions of online discussions and instantly engage with customers and buyers
Scale and media buying power are no longer a decisive advantage. What counts today is speed and agility. While your competitors scramble to adjust, you can seize the initiative, open new channels, and grow your brand. Master Real-Time Marketing and PR today and become the first to act, the first to respond, and the first to win!
Table of Contents
I. Revolution Time
1. Grow Your Business Now
- 1.1. Dave's Slingshot Goes Viral on Goliath
- 1.2. The Stories behind the Story: United Airlines, Taylor Guitars, and Calton Cases
- 1.3. Break a Taylor Guitar and You Break this Man's Heart
- 1.4. A Teachable Moment
- 1.5. Case Study in Real-Time Product Development
- 1.6. United Comes Untied
- 1.7. Dave's Big Win
- 1.8. Real-Time Engagement
- 2. Speed versus Sloth: Dispatches from the Front
- 3. Laying Down Some Real-Time Law
- 4. Real-Time Attitude
- 5. Too Big to Succeed?
6. Engage the Media at Their Convenience
- 6.1. Always On
- 6.2. The Revolution, Live on YouTube and Twitter
- 6.3. Get in Sync with the Real-Time News Cycle
- 6.4. The Old Media Relations Timeline
- 6.5. Amazon.com as Big Brother
- 6.6. Now: While News Is Happening
- 6.7. Multiple Takes, One Story
- 6.8. How They Make News in Real Time
- 6.9. Did You Hear the One about the Pornographic Robocall?
- 6.10. How to Engage the Media in Real Time
7. Crisis Communications and the Media
- 7.1. Eurostar and Silence
- 7.2. Twitter as a Crisis Communications Tool
- 7.3. Real-Time Media Alerts
- 7.4. Connect with Journalists before You Need Them
- 7.5. Thrust into the News When You Least Expect It
- 7.6. When You Have Hot News
- 7.7. How to Deflate a Scandal
- 7.8. The Time Is Now
- 7.9. The Million-Dollar Door
8. What Are People Saying about You This Instant?
- 8.1. Who the Hell ARE These People?
- 8.2. Tracking Those You Know
- 8.3. Choosing to Respond (Or Not)
- 8.4. Listening in to Millions of Discussions in Real Time
- 8.5. A $250-Grand Tweet!
- 8.6. Turning around a Critic
- 8.7. When You Don't Have an Immediate Answer
- 8.8. Social Web Analytics
- 8.9. A Selection of Social Web Analytics Services
- 8.10. How Even the Biggest Can Be Seamlessly Social
- 9. Tap the Crowd for Quick Action
- 1. Grow Your Business Now
II. Connect with Your Market
10. Real-Time Customer Connection
- 10.1. Connecting with Customers Is Marketing and PR
- 10.2. Why Should I Help You?
- 10.3. Interacting with Customers in Real Time
- 10.4. Friends Tweet Friends First
- 10.5. Embracing the Tweet
- 10.6. Let Followers Feel the Love on Twitter
- 10.7. How Can You Fight a Fire after the House Burns Down?
- 10.8. Meet Your Critics on Their Turf
- 10.9. Put the CEO to Work
- 10.10. It Can Happen to You!
- 10.11. Respond Rapidly with Instant Web Sites
- 10.12. Multiple Communications Channels
- 10.13. Reaching Fans
- 11. Going Mobile, Real Time Is All the Time
- 12. They Want It Immediately
- 10. Real-Time Customer Connection
III. Grow Your Business Now
- 13. Let Them Communicate . . . Now
- 14. How Your Web Site Becomes a Real-Time Machine
- 15. Make the Sale
16. Business at the Speed of Now
- 16.1. The Mass-Media Aberration
- 16.2. Lutz and Me
- 16.3. Yes, We're Listening!
- 16.4. TweetDeck in Motown
- 16.5. GM Learns to Show Its Human Face
- 16.6. Lutz Always Gets the Last Word
- 16.7. How Real-Time Communications Sells Cars
- 16.8. Starting Up in Real Time
- 16.9. Improvising under the Volcano
- 16.10. It's about Focusing the Mind-Set on the Tools
- A. 2010 Fortune 100 Real-Time Speed Analysis
- Part One Revolution Time
- Part Two Connect with Your Market
- Part Three Grow Your Business Now
- About the Author
- Have David Meerman Scott Speak at Your Next Event
- Title: Real-Time Marketing & PR: How to Instantly Engage Your Market, Connect with Customers, and Create Products that Grow Your Business Now
- Release date: November 2010
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780470645956