The practical guide for every circuit designer creating FPGA designs with Verilog!
Walk through design step-by-step-from coding through silicon. Partitioning, synthesis, simulation, test benches, combinatorial and sequential designs, and more.
Real World FPGA Design with Verilog guides you through every key challenge associated with designing FPGAs and ASICs using Verilog, one of the world's leading hardware design languages. You'll find irreverent, yet rigorous coverage of what it really takes to translate HDL code into hardware-and how to avoid the pitfalls that can occur along the way. Ken Coffman presents no-frills, real-world design techniques that can improve the stability and reliability of virtually any design. Start by walking a typical Verilog design all the way through to silicon; then, review basic Verilog syntax, design; simulation and testing, advanced simulation, and more. Coverage includes:
Essential digital design strategies: recognizing the underlying analog building blocks used to create digital primitives; implementing logic with LUTs; clocking strategies, logic minimization, and more
Key engineering tradeoffs, including operating speed vs. latency
Combinatorial and sequential designs
Verilog test fixtures: compiler directives and automated testing
A detailed comparison of alternative architectures and software-including a never-before-published FPGA technology selection checklist
Real World FPGA Design with Verilog introduces libraries and reusable modules, points out opportunities to reuse your own code, and helps you decide when to purchase existing IP designs instead of building from scratch. Essential rules for designing with ASIC conversion in mind are presented.
If you're involved with digital hardware design with Verilog, Ken Coffman is a welcome voice of experience-showing you the shortcuts, helping you over the rough spots, and helping you achieve competence faster than you ever expected!
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Dedication Page
- Foreword Notes on the Current State of the Art
- Preface Digital Design in the Real World
- Acknowledgments and Notes on the Second Printing
- Chapter 1 Verilog Design in the Real World
- Chapter 2 Digital Design Strategies and Techniques
- Chapter 3 A Digital Circuit Toolbox
- Chapter 4 More Digital Circuits: Counters, RAMs, and FIFOs
- Chapter 5 Verilog Test Fixtures
- Chapter 6 Real World Design: Tools, Techniques, and Trade-offs
- Chapter 7 A Look at Competing Architectures
- Chapter 8 Libraries, Reusable Modules, and IP
- Chapter 9 Designing for ASIC Conversion
- Afterword—A Look into the Future
- Glossary and Acronyms
- The Author
- Title: Real World FPGA Design with Verilog
- Release date: December 1999
- Publisher(s): Prentice Hall
- ISBN: 9780132442268