1. “The National Health Service: Accident and Emergency,” the Economist, September 10, 2016, 48.
2. “A Prescription for the Future: How Hospitals Could Be Rebuilt, Better Than Before,” the Economist, April 8, 2017, 51.
3. Nick Wingfield, Katie Thomas, and Reed Abelson, “Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway, and JPMorgan Team Up to Try to Disrupt Health Care,” New York Times, January 30, 2018.
4. US health-care data is from National Health Expenditure 2016, published by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services of the US Department of Health and Human Services. Health-care inflation data is from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (2016). We are grateful to Matt Slaughter for pointing us to this data.
5. Regina E. Herzlinger, Barak D. ...