This chapter covers the following key topics:
• The Origins of EGP—This section discusses the history of the development of the Exterior Gateway Protocol, presented in RFC 827 (1982).
• Operation of EGP—This section explores the fundamental mechanics of EGP with a focus on EGP topology issues, EGP functions, and EGP message formats.
• Shortcomings of EGP—This section explores some of the reasons why EGP is no longer pursued as a viable external gateway protocol solution.
• Configuring EGP—This section presents four separate case studies—EGP stub gateway, EGP core gateway, indirect neighbors, and default routes—to demonstrate different types of EGP configuration.
• Troubleshooting EGP—This section examines ...