Chapter 2. Introduction to Border Gateway Protocol 4
This chapter covers the following key topics:
• Classless Interdomain Routing—This section introduces CIDR and discusses both its advantages and its shortcomings.
• Who Needs BGP?—This section examines several inter-AS scenarios, with an eye to where BGP is necessary and where it is not.
• BGP Basics—This section discusses the fundamentals of the Border Gateway Protocol, including message types and path attributes.
• IBGP and IGP Synchronization—This section presents the issues surrounding synchronization between IBGP and the IGP within an AS, why synchronization is required by default, and how synchronization problems can be avoided.
• Managing Large-Scale BGP Peering—This section presents ...