The first year of developing a new sales territory is a daunting task—especially in dog-eat-dog industries. The traditional advice is to train quickly on product, grab a customer list, start calling for appointments, discover opportunities, and close deals. In fact, almost every sales model out there is based on nothing more than "opportunity" management. But jumping straight to opportunity will have new salespeople—or veterans developing new territories—chasing their tails for the first year or two.
As Sales Hunting: How to Develop New Territories and Major Accounts in Half the Time Using Trust as Your Weapon details, there is a significant problem you must overcome when opening up new accounts and territories. No matter what you are selling, your prospect already has a trusted relationship with an incumbent vendor and will continue to buy from that vendor even when you have the better solution. The playing field is not level—and you're on the wrong side. So how can you compete to win?
"Trust is the grease that makes business sales effortless," writes sales pro and trainer Dave Monty. Opportunity metrics are important, but trust—and a few sharp insider tactics Monty reveals—is the guidepost that leads to success. His sales model therefore incorporates metrics based on trust along with traditional sales measures. That is the fuel that helps you not just turn virgin territory into a consistent revenue generator, but helps you win over potential accounts that now use competitive products.
Sales Hunting helps you start establishing trust before you step foot in a prospect's door, and it shows you the tactics necessary to penetrate new accounts. Once you gain access, trust can be used as systematic way to build long-lasting relationships that pay dividends well beyond that first sale you make. Among other things, this book explains:
Why most customers don't want to buy from you . . . yet
Why trust-based relationships enable you to open up territories and bag the biggest customers quickly
How to qualify and rank customers based on traits
How to get in step with the customer's buying cycle
How to establish trust-based and traditional sales metrics to guide your efforts
With advice based on Monty's twenty years of IT sales and sales management experience—along with principles confirmed by academic research—Sales Hunting is an easy-to-read book that is packed with real-life examples and prescriptions for achieving sales success. It will prove a lifesaver for any salesperson or sales manager developing a new territory or trying to penetrate new accounts.
What you'll learn
Why traditional sales models do not work for new account acquisition.
Why long-term sales success is built on developing a trusted relationship with the customer.
The best methods for achieving first meetings.
The best solutions to lead with.
How to qualify customer and opportunities.
Where to best spend your time.
How to measure and track your success.
Who this book is for
Salespeople and sales managers opening new territories or trying to penetrate new accounts.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Apress Business: The Unbiased Source of Business Information
- About the Author
PART I: Setting the Foundation
- CHAPTER 1: Hunting Misunderstood
- CHAPTER 2: Identify the Silent Sales Killers
- CHAPTER 3: The Buyer Process
- CHAPTER 4: The Sales Process
- CHAPTER 5: Trust
- CHAPTER 6: Trust Sales Cycle
- CHAPTER 7: Build Business Relationships
- CHAPTER 8: Understand the Sales Equation
PART II: Understanding First Stage Selling
- CHAPTER 9: Preplanning: Prepare Yourself
- CHAPTER 10: Niche Selling
- CHAPTER 11: Rich Hunting Grounds
- CHAPTER 12: Where to Find Customers
- PART III: Getting Across the Threshold
PART IV: Executing the Strategy
- CHAPTER 15: Power in Sales
- CHAPTER 16: Selling Strategies
- CHAPTER 17: Qualify the Customer
- CHAPTER 18: Building Trust Before Opportunity
PART V: Understanding and Developing Opportunities
- CHAPTER 19: Qualifying and Developing Opportunity
- CHAPTER 20: Are You Winning or Losing?
- CHAPTER 21: Wrapping Up
- APPENDIX: Resources
- Title: Sales Hunting: How to Develop New Territories and Major Accounts in Half the Time Using Trust as Your Weapon
- Release date: February 2014
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781430267706