The clear, easy-to-understand tutorial for developers who want to write software for today's hottest new device: Apple's iPad!
Figures and code appear as they do in Xcode
Covers iOS 3.2 and up
In just 24 sessions of one hour or less, learn how to build powerful applications for today’s hottest tablet device: the iPad! Using this book’s straightforward, step-by-step approach, you’ll master every skill and technology you need, from setting up your Xcode development environment to utilizing the full iPad screen real estate for touchable interfaces, integrating maps and media, to improving the reliability and performance of your software. Each lesson builds on what you’ve already learned, giving you a rock-solid foundation for real-world success!
Step-by-step instructions carefully walk you through the most common iPad development tasks.
Quizzes and Exercises at the end of each chapter help you test your knowledge.
By the Way notes present interesting information related to the discussion.
Did You Know? tips offer advice or show you easier ways to perform tasks.
Watch Out! cautions alert you to possible problems and give you advice on how to avoid them.
Printed in full color
• Learn the features of the Xcode development suite
• Prepare your system and iPad for efficient development
• Get started fast with Apple’s Objective-C and Cocoa Touch
• Understand the Model-View-Controller (MVC) development paradigm
• Implement advanced application interfaces with interactive widgets and web-connected interfaces
• Enhance the user experience with popovers and other iPad-only UI features
• Build interfaces that adjust to the iPad’s orientation
• Read and write data, and navigate it with table views
• Implement media playback and recording capabilities
• Integrate your software with the iPad’s email, photos, iPod, and address book applications
• Create map and location-based services
• Sense motion with the iPad accelerometer input
• Discover the tools for building universal iPad/iPhone/iPod touch applications
• Distribute your applications through the App Store
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Contents at a Glance
- Table of Contents
- About the Author
- We Want to Hear from You!
- Hour 1 Preparing Your System and iPad for Development
- HOUR 2 Introduction to XCode and the iPhone Simulator
- HOUR 3 Discovering Objective-C: The Language of Apple Platforms
- HOUR 4 Inside Cocoa Touch
- HOUR 5 Exploring Interface Builder
- HOUR 6 Model-View-Controller Application Design
- HOUR 7 Working with Text, Keyboards, and Buttons
- HOUR 8 Handling Images, Animation, and Sliders
- HOUR 9 Using Advanced Interface Objects and Views
- HOUR 10 Getting the User’s Attention
- HOUR 11 Presenting Options with Popovers and Toolbars
- HOUR 12 Making Multivalue Choices with Pickers and Action Sheets
- HOUR 13 Focusing on Tasks with Modal Views
- HOUR 14 Implementing Multipleview Applications
- HOUR 15 Navigating Information Using Table Views and Split View-based Applications
- HOUR 16 Reading and Writing Application Data
- HOUR 17 Building Rotatable and Resizable User Interfaces
- HOUR 18 Extending the Touch Interface
- HOUR 19 Sensing Movement with Accelerometer Input
- HOUR 20 Working with Rich Media
- HOUR 21 Interacting with Other Applications
- HOUR 22 Building Universal Applications
- HOUR 23 Application Debugging and Optimization
- HOUR 24 Distributing Applications Through the App Store
- Appendix A
- Title: Sams Teach Yourself iPad™ Application Development in 24 Hours
- Release date: August 2010
- Publisher(s): Sams
- ISBN: 9780132316736