SAS Metadata Server
About the SAS Metadata Server
The SAS Metadata Server is a multi-user server that enables users to read metadata from
and write metadata to one or more SAS Metadata Repositories. This server is a
centralized resource for storing, managing, and delivering metadata for all SAS
applications across the enterprise.
The SAS Metadata Server can be set up in a clustered configuration to provide
redundancy and high availability.
About the Metadata in the SAS Metadata Repository
Here are examples of the types of metadata objects that can be stored in the SAS
• groups of users
• data libraries
• information maps
• stored processes
• analytical models
• SAS Workspace Servers
• SAS Pooled Workspace Servers
• SAS Stored Process Servers
• SAS OLAP Servers
A metadata object is a set of attributes that describe a resource. Here are some examples:
• When a user creates a report in SAS Web Report Studio, a metadata object is created
to describe the new report.
• When a user creates a data warehouse in SAS Data Integration Studio, a metadata
object is created to describe each table included in the warehouse.
• When a system administrator defines a new instance of a SAS server, a metadata
object is created to describe the server.
The specific attributes that a metadata object includes vary depending on the resource
that is being described. For example, a table object can include attributes for the table's
SAS Metadata Server 27