Hands-on tutorial to help you optimize REST APIs using the latest Java 9 features.
About This Video
- Get your application connected to the web using Java 9
- Optimize the performance of your REST APIs
- This course will cover the latest version of Java with practical examples and use cases
Java 9 is an all-new module system and comes with a rich feature set. The new language concepts, new APIs, and diagnostic commands will definitely be of interest to developers.
The course will teach you to build your own REST API using the Spring Boot framework, and to consume data from an external API, by leveraging the REST and HTTP 2.0 protocols in a Java 9 application. This example will see us build a sentiment analyzer service that leverages the Google Cloud Sentiment Analysis API to provide sentiment information. We will start by building a simple wrapper around the Google Sentiment API, before starting to store requests in a text file and adding some statistical functionality to our requests.
By the end of the course, you will have discovered the world of Java 9 programming using real-world examples.
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1 : Introduction to REST APIs and Spring Boot
Chapter 2 : Designing and Implementing Our API
- Sign Up for the Google Cloud API 00:10:38
- Designing a Well-Structured REST API 00:12:24
- Introduction to HTTP 2.0 and What It Means for the Web 00:10:49
- Asynchronous Versus Synchronous API Requests 00:07:38
- Connecting to the Sentiment Cloud API and Submitting Some Test Phrases 00:08:45
- Implementing an End-to-End Service between the User and Google 00:08:52
- Testing our API 00:06:53
Chapter 3 : Enriching Our API
- Creating a Request Class, Serializing It, and Storing It in a CSV File 00:10:45
- Implementing APIs for Some Statistics Methods 00:08:22
- Calculating the Most Common Word Using Functional Processing 00:08:40
- Counting Requests by Hour and Day Using Functional Processing 00:08:21
- Calculating Max, Min, and Average Sentiment 00:09:00
- Caching Requests to Improve Performance 00:11:14
- Title: Scalable Java 9 for the Connected Web
- Release date: February 2018
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781788396707