Science fiction is the playground of the imagination. If you are interested in science or fascinated with the future then science fiction is where you explore new ideas and let your dreams and nightmares duke it out on the safety of the page or screen. But what if we could use science fiction to do more than that? What if we could use science fiction based on science fact to not only imagine our future but develop new technologies and products? What if we could use stories, movies and comics as a kind of tool to explore the real world implications and uses of future technologies today?
Science Fiction Prototyping is a practical guide to using fiction as a way to imagine our future in a whole new way. Filled with history, real world examples and conversations with experts like best selling science fiction author Cory Doctorow, senior editor at Dark Horse Comics Chris Warner and Hollywood science expert Sidney Perkowitz, Science Fiction Prototyping will give you the tools you need to begin designing the future with science fiction.
The future is Brian David Johnson’s business. As a futurist at Intel Corporation, his charter is to develop an actionable vision for computing in 2021. His work is called “future casting”—using ethnographic field studies, technology research, trend data, and even science fiction to create a pragmatic vision of consumers and computing. Johnson has been pioneering development in artificial intelligence, robotics, and reinventing TV. He speaks and writes extensively about future technologies in articles and scientific papers as well as science fiction short stories and novels (Fake Plastic Love and Screen Future: The Future of Entertainment, Computing and the Devices We Love). He has directed two feature films and is an illustrator and commissioned painter.
Table of Contents: Preface / Foreword / Epilogue / Dedication / Acknowledgments / 1. The Future Is in Your Hands / 2. Religious Robots and Runaway Were-Tigers: A Brief Overview of the Science and the Fiction that Went Into Two SF Prototypes / 3. How to Build Your Own SF Prototype in Five Steps or Less / 4. I, Robot: From Asimov to Doctorow: Exploring Short Fiction as an SF Prototype and a Conversation With Cory Doctorow / 5. The Men in the Moon: Exploring Movies as an SF Prototype and a Conversation with Sidney Perkowitz / 6. Science in the Gutters: Exploring Comics as an SF Prototype and a Conversation With Chris Warner / 7. Making the Future: Now that You Have Developed Your SF Prototype, What’s Next? / 8. Einstein’s Thought Experiments and Asimov’s Second Dream / Appendix A: The SF Prototypes / Notes / Author Biography
Table of contents
- Title Page
- 1. The Future Is in Your Hands
- 2. Religious Robots and Runaway Were-Tigers: A Brief Overview of the Science and the Fiction that Went Into Two SF Prototypes
3. How to Build Your Own SF Prototype in Five Steps or Less
- The Outline
- The Five Steps
- 4. I, Robot: From Asimov to Doctorow: Exploring Short Fiction as an SF Prototype and a Conversation With Cory Doctorow
- 5. The Men in the Moon: Exploring Movies as an SF Prototype and a Conversation with Sidney Perkowitz
6. Science in the Gutters: Exploring Comics as an SF Prototype and a Conversation With Chris Warner
- What Is a Comic?
- How Science Saved Comic Books
- A Conversation With Chris Warner
- How to Tell a Comic Book Story
- Science in the Gutters
- Turning Your SF Prototyping Outline Into a Compelling Comics Story
- The Superman—Analysis of Comic as an SF Prototype
- Five Easy Steps—Breaking Down The Supermen as an SF Prototype
- Silly Science But a Good Idea
- 7. Making the Future: Now that You Have Developed Your SF Prototype, What’s Next?
- 8. Einstein’s Thought Experiments and Asimov’s Second Dream
- Appendix A: The SF Prototypes
- Author Biography
- Title: Science Fiction Prototyping
- Release date: February 2011
- Publisher(s): Morgan & Claypool Publishers
- ISBN: 9781608456567
You might also like
Storyboards: Motion In Art, 3rd Edition
Among the most useful tools in the production of any TV show or film is the …
Swift™ for Programmers
The professional programmer’s Deitel ® guide to Apple’s new Swift programming language for the iOS ® …
Deep Learning for Coders with fastai and PyTorch
Deep learning is often viewed as the exclusive domain of math PhDs and big tech companies. …
AWS Certified Solutions Architect Official Study Guide
Validate your AWS skills. This is your opportunity to take the next step in your career …