Live your Second Life to the fullest!
• Get started and get comfortable fast
• Understand the culture, and avoid beginner’s mistakes
• Create the right look for your avatar
• Master Second Life’s building and texturing tools
• Learn how to terraform, build, and landscape your first plot
• Create your own Second Life “objects” and clothing
• Attend the best Second Life virtual events
Create Your Virtual Life in an Incredible Online World...Right Now!
Imagine a virtual landscape where everything is created and owned entirely by residents like you. Imagine a place where you can enjoy sunsets, ride a jet ski, buy land, plant a garden, get a tattoo, go sky diving, spend an evening dancing the night away, or relax at home by the fire. Picture a world vividly developed, socially dynamic, and strikingly real where you can bring previously unimaginable things to life with friends from around the globe. This is Second Life®, the hottest Internet phenomenon in years…maybe ever!
Now, there’s a totally real, totally independent guide to Second Life. This full-color book is as rich as Second Life itself! It’s packed with insider tips, easy step-by-step techniques, and interviews with dozens of SL residents telling you what they wished they knew when they started! Brian White pulls no punches: You’ll learn exactly what’s great and not so great about SL...how to thrive in its unique culture, and how to create your dreams!
The more time you spend in Second Life, the more useful this book will become...teaching you more advanced skills; everything from vehicle construction, Linden Scripting Language, particle systems, to creating custom animations and the new sculpted prims!
Visit the companion site in Second Life to find all the textures and objects from this book as well as the contributor’s gallery and other goodies: http://slurl.com/secondlife/humuli/222/123/29
Chapter 1 Welcome to Second Life 3
Chapter 2 Exploring the New Frontier 27
Chapter 3 Communication and Social Networking 47
Chapter 4 Your Avatar–Your Virtual Self 67
Chapter 5 Second Life Culture and Relationships 93
Chapter 6 Building Basics 119
Chapter 7 Advanced Textures and Clothing 171
Chapter 8 Making the Magic: Scripting Basics 229
Chapter 9 Land Ownership, Terraforming, and Landscaping 253
Chapter 10 Particles, Vehicles, Animations, and Sculpted Prims 283
Chapter 11 Photography, Music, and Movies 333
Chapter 12 Practical Matters: Under the Hood of the Metaverse 347
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Contents at a Glance
- Table of Contents
- About the Author
- We Want to Hear from You!
- Reader Services
- 1. Welcome to Second Life
- 2. Exploring the New Frontier
- 3. Communication and Social Networking
- 4. Your Avatar—Your Virtual Self
- 5. Second Life Culture and Relationships
- 6. Building Basics
- 7. Advanced Textures and Clothing
- 8. Making the Magic: Scripting Basics
- 9. Land Ownership, Terraforming, and Landscaping
- 10. Particles, Vehicles, Animations, and Sculpted Prims
- 11. Photography, Music, and Movies
- 12. Practical Matters: Under the Hood of the Metaverse
- Title: Second Life: A Guide to Your Virtual World
- Release date: August 2007
- Publisher(s): Que
- ISBN: 9780321501660