Find Out if an SMSF is Right for You
Are you thinking about setting up a self managed superannuation fund but unsure where to start? Are you worried that you're not maximising all the benefits an SMSF offers? In Securing Your Superannuation Future, Daryl Dixon offers practical, easy-to-understand tools and strategies to help you set up and run your own super fund.
More Australians than ever are deciding to take control of their super, and Daryl's insights go beyond the standard requirements for running an SMSF. He reveals many tax-saving tips and practical steps to work through important decisions such as:
Do you need professional assistance to run your fund?
Who should be the trustees and members of your SMSF?
What steps should you take to build your super in a tax-effective way?
How do you construct your SMSF investment portfolio?
When and how should you access your super?
How can you maximise the amount of super you pass on to your beneficiaries?
Table of contents
- Table of Contents
- Title Page
Chapter 1: Is an SMSF right for you?
- What is an SMSF?
- What are the benefits of self managed super?
- Do you need to be a superannuation expert to run an SMSF?
- How do SMSFs compare with other funds on fees?
- Is it worth swapping your current super solution for an SMSF?
- Does an SMSF suit your stage in life?
- You think an SMSF might be for you?
- In summary
Chapter 2: SMSF pre-setup checklist
- Step 1: identify the members of your SMSF
- Step 2: select a trustee or trustees for your SMSF
- Step 3: consider your overseas travel plans
- Step 4: familiarise yourself with the roles and responsibilities of trustees
- Step 5: decide who will help establish and administer your SMSF
- Step 6: decide if you need investment advice
- Step 7: decide if you need financial advice
- Where to now?
- SMSF pre-setup checklist
- In summary
- Chapter 3: The SMSF setup phase
- Chapter 4: Making contributions to your SMSF
- Chapter 5: How to construct your SMSF investment portfolio
Chapter 6: Investment rules
- Prepare a written investment strategy
- You must invest for a sole purpose
- Keep your SMSF and personal affairs separate
- Be careful when acquiring assets from related parties
- In-house assets
- Keep things at arm's length
- Don't provide financial assistance
- Don't give a charge over fund assets
- Don't borrow, unless you're allowed
- Investment in artwork, cars, jewellery and wine
- Be careful when using derivatives
- In summary
- Chapter 7: Accessing your SMSF benefits
- Chapter 8: Insurance in your SMSF
Chapter 9: Estate planning and protecting your SMSF
- Who can receive your super benefits?
- How can benefits be paid?
- Who decides who gets your super benefits?
- Death and taxes on super
- Time limits
- Does an SMSF continue after a member's death?
- Anti-detriment payments
- What happens to your SMSF if you become bankrupt?
- What happens to your SMSF if you divorce?
- What happens to your SMSF if you lose capacity?
- In summary
- Title: Securing Your Superannuation Future: How to Start and Run a Self Managed Super Fund
- Release date: June 2012
- Publisher(s): Wrightbooks
- ISBN: 9780730377788
You might also like
Pragmatic Thinking and Learning
Software development happens in your head. Not in an editor, IDE, or designtool. You're well educated …
How to Pay Zero Taxes, 2020-2021: Your Guide to Every Tax Break the IRS Allows, 37th Edition
Save BIGGER THAN EVER with this fully updated edition of the classic tax-saving guide! Tax whiz …
J.K. Lasser's Your Income Tax Professional Edition 2017
Deftly navigate income taxes and tax preparation J.K. Lasser's Your Income Tax: Professional Edition, 2017 offers …
The Complete Idiot's Guide® to Speed Math provides easy-to-understand methods, tips, and tricks to do math …