After discussing the process of theory building, the appendix reviews the following concepts:
- Disruptive innovation theory
- Resources, processes, and values (RPV) theory
- Jobs-to-be-done theory
- Value chain evolution (VCE) theory (with corollary sustaining innovation classification scheme)
- Schools of experience theory
- Emergent strategy theory (with supporting discovery-driven planning tool)
- Motivation/ability framework
The description of each concept also references source material that explains the concept in more depth.
The Process of Theory Building
A theory is a contingent statement of what causes what and why. Business researchers typically follow a three-stage process (displayed in the figure following) ...