We have explored some of the reasons for studying separations and some of the methods we will use. At this point you should be able to satisfy the following objectives:
1. Explain how separations are used in a typical chemical plant
2. Define the concepts of equilibrium stages and unit operations
3. Explain what is meant by phase equilibrium
4. Explain the basic concepts of mass transfer
5. List the steps in the structured problem-solving approach and start to use this approach
6. Have some familiarity with the prerequisites
Note: In later chapters you may want to turn to the Summary—Objectives section first to help you see where you are going. Then when you’ve finished the chapter, the Summary—Objectives section can help ...