In this long chapter we developed the stage-by-stage balances for distillation columns and showed how to solve these equations when CMO is valid. You should now be able to satisfy the following objectives:
1. Write the mass and energy balances and equilibrium expressions for any stage in a column
2. Explain what CMO is, and determine if CMO is valid in a given situation
3. Derive the operating equations for CMO systems
4. Calculate the feed quality and determine its effect on flow rates. Plot the feed line on a y-x diagram
5. Determine the number of stages required, using the Lewis method and the McCabe-Thiele method
6. Develop and explain composition, temperature, and flow profiles
7. Solve any binary distillation problem ...